Article: 288786 of talk.bizarre
From: schweda@wwa.com (Christopher Schweda)
Newsgroups: bermuda.general,earth.general,alt.fan.wednesday,dc.general,alt.food.mcdonalds,alt.tv.3rd-rock,alt.sex.femdom,alt.religion.shamanism,sci.lang,alt.politics.british,alt.silly-group.persian,talk.bizarre
Subject: Re: The Still-Vex'd Bermoothes...
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 1996 09:20:31 -0600

In article <329F2C5D.41292490@earthops.org>, klaatu <root@earthops.org> wrote:

> I had though somehow that Shakespeare came before the discovery of the
> New World, but on looking up his history, I see that he came after
> Columbus. I'm somewhat amazed that he never did any works concerning the
> Americas.

Tempest was one of Shakespeare's last plays, right?

And wasn't Jamestown around 1602 or 1603?

I don't have the play in front of me, and I can't quote any passage from
memory, but I'd always liked the Tempest on account it seemed in several
places to echo the fascination with the uncertainties and obsessions of the
"New World."

Interesting.

Chris