prev : next : index SPEW

April 22, 2000: bombs away

Saturday

Nearly a year ago (here) I started screenwriting in reaction to discovering how much writing screenplays corresponded with my natural inclinations towards storytelling.

After I got a job again, I put that aside, and it fell lower and lower on the list of priorities for things to get done with my spare time. In fact, I keep a little list, and here's the current version, a file in my hard drive called projects.txt:

  E
  script
  gridpath
  ?storm?
  (spool)
  ik
  yi
  NPC modelling toolkit
  slux/sluxe/slacker/slacc
  scc
  scape
  qua

I add things onto the end of the list (and occasionally delete them), so as you can see, 'script' is rather far down the list, if you assume I tend to do newer things.

('E' and 'yi' are text adventures; 'NPC modelling toolkit' and 'slux/sluxe/slacker/slacc' are text adventure technologies; 'gridpath', 'ik', and 'scape' are computer game technologies; 'scc' and 'qua' are genereal computer technologies; and 'script' is all of my screenplays. Discounting 'script', one of these is nearly done, one of these is mostly done, two of these are started, and the others are mostly just in my head or have some preliminary design work done.)

So, I was thinking about how long it had been since I had worked on my last script, so over the last few weeks, I buckled down and worked on it and finished it.

When I had last left it, I was stuck getting the ending to fall together. As often happens, it was trivial now. Perhaps there were some important things in my head I wanted to have happen that I've forgotten now, but mainly, the issue seems to be this: I was having trouble figuring out how I was going to resolve that character A was helping out faction B, and I was having trouble getting from location X to location Y. For each of these, I thought I needed another significant scene to get from one point to the other. Instead, I made character A part of faction B (this is less obvious than it sounds) and I basically went from location X to location Y directly, but it all works.

An annoying Microsoftism: I formatted my script here at home with a copy of Word, then took it in to work to print it out (I bought my own paper so I wouldn't be consuming theirs). It turns out, the pages came out different there, and the manual spacing I had inserted to get good page breaks were all in the wrong places. And I had printed the whole thing out before I noticed it.

I'm not sure why. My best guess is that I use a font, Courier, which doesn't actually exist on my machine (Courier New does), whereas at work, it exists on the printer at least. Presumably the at-home version gets the sizes of the characters wrong. Or something. I don't know. Annoying as heck, though.


prev : next : month : index : : home
attribution dammit: Bombs Away The Police